If you have a dog or cat who is aging, ill, not behaving, showing crankiness, acting out of character, or injured, there’s a great chance that CBD oil for pets can help.
No matter where you are or who you are talking to about your pet’s overall health and wellness, you’re going to hear about CBD oil. Because CBD oil is still relatively new to us (legalized by Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018), you’re probably hearing a LOT of information. It can be overwhelming and confusing especially if you are hearing conflicting information.
Animal Intuition promotes CBD oil products for your pets for all sorts of reasons ranging from physical pain to emotional challenges to anxiety. But what exactly is CBD, and how do you know you’re getting the right information?
What is CBD Oil?
CBD stands for Cannabidiol. This is a compound found in the cannabis plant. Cannabis has countless compounds, but the two most well-known are THC and CBD. There are lots of differences between the two, but the most important difference is that THC gets you high and CBD does not. CBD comes from hemp, which contains no THC. Repeat: CBD oil derived from hemp with 0% THC will not get your pets high.
CBD oil is a natural remedy for dogs that is frequently used by those of us involved in holistic healing.
How Does CBD Oil work on my pet?
Nearly all animals have an internal system of receptors and cells called the Endocannabinoid System. This system controls lots of neurological, sensory, and physical functions. An imbalanced Endocannabinoid System can result in pain, arthritis, anxiety, and general malaise. CBD oil interacts with the Endocannabinoid System to regulate the body’s functions bring them into balance.
What can CBD Oil Help Treat?
CBD can provide relief from a variety of ailments. Here’s some of the most common uses of CBD oil for pets:
- Arthritis: Is your dog slower to get up, losing their footing, slipping, whimpering when they move, or just slowing down in general? According to the Arthritis Foundation, about 20% of adult (or “middle-aged”) dogs suffer from the disease, and by some estimates 90% of older dogs have arthritis in one or more joints by the time they are 7 years old. CBD Oil for pets can help treat inflammation in the joints, which can increase mobility and decrease pain. A 2009 study found that CBD oil was a very effective anti-inflammatory, in animals AND humans!
- Anxiety: None of us want to see our best friends feeling anxious or unhappy. When we know our animals are stressed or upset, it can cause us to worry or be upset too. The problem is, our dogs sense that. And when they sense something is wrong, they in turn can react with more anxiety and it can become an endless cycle. Whether your dog experiences situational anxiety (like fireworks, car rides, nail trims, etc.) or he/she is in a constant state of anxiety, CBD oil may be able to help regulate receptors to stop sending anxiety messages to the brain.
- Pain: Pain management is one of the top reasons people use CBD oil with their pets. CBD oil can also help your dog if he/she is in pain. This pain can be related to anything from arthritis, surgery, injury, or nerve pain. Check out the blog on Top Signs Your Dog is In Pain to learn more about what to look for if you are concerned your dog is hurting. The body feels pain through pain receptors and sends signals throughout the body and brain. When CBD interacts with pain receptors it can ease the intensity of pain signals and provide some relief.
- Pets with Cancer: The dreaded C word is something none of us ever want to hear about our pets. The Veterinary Cancer Society estimates 1 in 4 dogs will develop cancer at some point, and almost 50% of dogs over age 10 will develop cancer. Cancer can be extremely painful.
Please note, CBD oil is NOT a cure for cancer, but it has been shown to be effective in alleviating some of the symptoms. As CBD oil becomes more mainstream, many canine oncologists are recommending it for their patients.
CBD Oil is a Complimentary Treatment
CBD oil is all natural and has been shown to be quite effective for a number of different ailments. Natural remedies such a CBD oil, supplements and essential oils are extremely helpful when used correctly, and in tandem with a well-rounded wellness plan that includes your veterinarian. Animal Intuition does not claim to cure or diagnose your pet’s condition and encourages clients to work with their integrative or traditional veterinarian staff in conjunction with care practitioners that offer holistic therapies.
What Type of CBD Oil Does My Pet Need?
There are lots of different types of CBD oils and other products like Chews and Treats that contain CBD. There are different categories and strengths, and different methods of administering it.
- NO THC: Some CBD oils contain THC, and it’s important that you do NOT give those to your pets. The CBD Oil should be derived from the Hemp plant.
- Pet Formulated: Look for CBD Oil that is formulated specifically for pets. This ensures you are getting a product that can be safely used with your cats and dogs.
- Human CBD Oil: Do not give your pet CBD oil or products made for humans! The strength and dosage is formulated differently and these products often include flavoring and other ingredients that may not be safe for your pet such as xlyitol.
Watch the video we put together of CBD oil products for pets and different ways to administer it to your cat or dog.
If you’d like to prioritize your dog’s comfort and make life a little easier for you too, the safest option is to schedule a consultation or a canine massage with Animal Intuition! I can evaluate your pet’s current situation and condition, and make recommendations for ongoing care that will improve your dog’s quality of life and yours too!